Sunday, July 21, 2013

Self Knowledge

In talking with a young recovering addict today, I was reminded of how it was for me when I began recovery.  At that time, I was a very functional adult, academic type but as far as my internal, individual workings, I had no clue.  As that functional adult and academic, I could give lectures, lead committees, grade/teach/judge students and perform research, all without personal involvement.  I then judged the success or failure of my activities by the reactions of others, rather than my own, internal feelings.  I did not know myself.
Having begun the recovery process, I began to get to know myself, a process that continues today.  One of my first actions was to quit my job as an academic and take a less prestigious job in which I could begin to sort out what it meant to be Charlie.  Among other things, I discovered that I really enjoyed connecting with and working with other people.  I also discovered how fulfilling it was to follow a spiritual path, based on love and that connection.