Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Letting Go Of Attachments

The theme for the day was how we humans tend to cause our own suffering through the formation of attachments, desires and expectation.  I did this for years and then, quite vehemently and justifiably (I thought!), blamed other people for not fulfilling my plans and making my life miserable.  I still have the tendency but do not act on it and find it amusing when it comes up.  For me, the first step in giving up my attachments, desires and expectations was to stop blaming other people for my setting myself up.  Next I realized that they accomplished nothing other than my own discomfort and that I was placing value on transient, illusory things.  Having become thoroughly convinced of their uselessness, I systematically let each attachment, desire and expectation go as it came up, one at a time, sometimes easily and sometimes with great difficulty, depending on how firmly they were intrenched in my attitudes.  As a result, I am now free to really enjoy these various events and stay in the present, at the same time.