Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Struggling

I was struggling emotionally this afternoon and evening, after a mostly quiet and neutral day of paperwork, paying bills and exercise.  What happened is that I went to an office supply store to purchase a new shredder.  I had to go through a fairly lengthy period of explanation to several clerks, made quite a bit more difficult by my speech impediment.  They did not have the model I wanted in stock, so I went through the ordering procedure.  I then tried to pay and found out that they would not accept my check, so I said “fine” and left the store,  rather than use my credit card, which I had previously decided not to use.  I went to another store and purchased a shredder.
A short time later, I went to a recovery meeting and interacted with several friends only to fiend out that I could not really connect with or listen to them since I was preoccupied with the rather trivial events I had just been through.  I apologized for my preoccupation and put it aside. The events clearly illustrated to me how compelling (and useless!) the mind-chatter is.