Saturday, May 24, 2014

Materialism

It is difficult at times, but it works best for me to enjoy and take part in things like materialism, ownership and capitalism, in a limited way, while also not seeking meaning or fulfillment in those things.  I enjoy owning and buying things but I also need to guard against those things owning me.  As various spiritual leaders have pointed out, the more I own the greater the tendency is to place importance on those things, to let them takeover, so it is best for me to simplify.  I need to keep in mind the words of M. Williamson, “Money, of itself, means nothing. Material things, of themselves, mean nothing.  It’s not that they’re bad. It’s that they’re nothing.”  Things like love, interactions and relationships are more difficult, but they have meaning and result in a greater sense of fulfillment.