Saturday, July 26, 2014

Deep Listening

Today, I was asked why I do what I do, meaning metal health therapy with newly recovering addicts and alcoholics.  My response was threefold: 1) I’m good at what I do, 2) I like to watch people grow, and 3) I enjoy being of service.  That represents quite a shift from the way I used to be, when I did not care about anyone other than myself.
One of the biggest changes that I have gone through has been increasing my ability to listen.  I now incorporate deep listening into what I do.  For me, deep listening involves listening from a deep, receptive, loving and accepting place in myself, to deeper and often subtler (sometimes even unconscious) levels of meaning and intention in the other person. It is listening that is empathic, supportive and accurate.  Listening from a totally open perspective to the words, inflection and the body language of the other person.  Listening without judgment, assumption or projection.  I have found this type of listening to be both very difficult and fulfilling, resulting in a much better level of connection.