Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Paradox

Because of today’s recovery meeting and my own reading I have been aware of and contemplating the numerous paradoxes in my life. In my recovery meeting, as often happens, "surrender to win" was implied several times. The other paradoxes in my life are summarized nicely by the words of Rufus Jones when he wrote "To get we must also give, to advance we must also surrender, to gain we must lose, to attain we must resign. From the nature of things life means choice and selection, and every positive choice negates all other possibilities." For me the largest and most difficult paradox was/is that in order for me to become my true Self I have to give up the worldly demands of my ego self or in his words "To become a person one must both affirm and deny himself. One involves the other."