Thursday, June 27, 2013

Spiritual Path

Be it Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Taoist or whatever, it is apparent that no particular spiritual or religious path is required in order to reach the goal of peace, love and knowing eternity that I spoke of in my previous entry.  It does seem to be necessary for a person to select some path and to then stick to it, even if the path has no name, as in my case.  I really like the analogy that Kornfield uses, that digging several shallow wells is not equal to digging one deep one, meaning dabbling in several spiritual practices is not equal to pursuing one path deeply.
It also seems required that a person turn away or detach from any desires, concepts or attachments to things within the physical realm, and turn toward things like love, relationships and being of service to others, things with some eternal significance.  In my case, things like  love, relationships and being of service to others, gradually took on meaning, while material objects lost meaning.
The shifts I speak of in the previous paragraphs took me several years to complete.  They seemed easy and straightforward when I first encountered them, but they are not.  Some of my attachments and desires had to be wrenched from my grasp.  The shifts have been a bit easier as I get older.