Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Doing the Right Thing


It’s a bit hard to describe, but I have been to the “other side” when near death and I have returned to, what I think of, as the outskirts of that place regularly during meditation.  It is a place with God, where I can feel the presence of that force/power.  It is important to me that I find no judgment or criticism there, only an overwhelming sense of love, guidance and support, a feeling that I will do anything to connect with, and cherish most dearly.  I certainly did not earn that connection and I am certainly do not consider myself to be worthwhile, but I also realize my feelings of unworthiness are of no importance at all, that I am totally worthy in that place.  I am left with a feeling that I want to follow that feeling/God anywhere and do whatever it wants.
The question came up today, as it has several times before that without judgment or the threat of hell, why do the “right” thing.  My answer is the previous paragraph.  I have had various people try to coerce me into doing what they wanted me to do, using things like fear, guilt and shame.  Sometimes their efforts worked for a short time, and often not at all.  However, love works, and I even enjoy it.  It simply feels good to do the “right” thing.