Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Living in the Present


It is frequently difficult to thoroughly accept and embrace the bare-bones of the present moment, rather than holding off complete acceptance in favor of fantasizing about some sort of idealized possible future.  Put another way, waiting for some sort of idealized future can cloud and prevent me/us from completely embracing and living in the present.  For example, I could put off many of my daily activities, which are often quite difficult because of my physical challenges, and wait for a time when speaking was easier and my disability was less of an impediment.  Instead I choose to continue with my present activities as if things will always be as they are right now, while also doing everything I can to improve my speech, balance and coordination.  It has been my overwhelming experience that any “idealized future” is, in fact, no better than the present moment and that I am better off focusing most of my attention on living in the present, complete with its gifts and challenges.