Monday, May 27, 2013

The Choices We Make


I agree with Mother Teresa that the purpose of living is to “learn to give and receive love”.  There seems to be a gradual shift in the world from acting out of fear/anger/aggression to acting out of love/compassion/understanding.  As a species, we are relatively early in that shift.  The shift is led by various spiritual leaders, and is certainly not a linear process.  I have seen a similar shift in myself and my own attitudes/ideas.  In me it feels like there is a choice between two approaches to life.  One choice feeds that part of me that feels true, is attached to God and increases the integrity of the universe.  The other choice feeds that part of me that is based on fear/ego and does not increase the integrity of the universe.  My first tendency in a given situation is usually emotional and fear/ego based.  Fortunately, my initial tendency usually passes within a few seconds or minutes, and I can avoid acting on it, if I have the discipline to wait.  I can then act out of love/compassion/understanding, which feels a great deal better, and promotes the shift I mentioned earlier.