Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Nurturing the Small Quiet Voice

One of the ways that my beliefs and experiences differ from many people is the idea of being born in sin or that we humans are inherently bad or aggressive or have something to overcome, in order to be decent people.  That is not my personal experience nor have I found that to be true in any of the numerous people that I have worked with.  What I have experienced and found is that we each have two parts or facets: one is based on fear/hurt/anger and tends toward aggression, while the other is based on love/understanding/ compassion and tends toward gentleness and peace.  We each face a minute by minute choice of which path or choice to follow, the easiest is usually fear, the one that feels strongest and right is usually love.
While working with someone and within myself, I tend to nurture and support the love/ understanding/compassion side. Generally, that part starts out as “that small, quiet voice” within.  My experience is that it is always there and gets stronger as we listen to it and act on it.  My experience is that we humans actually want to act according to that voice, it feels better to do so.  Many aspects of our culture support the fear/hurt/anger part, so I avoid those aspects.