Thursday, November 14, 2013

What Matters

We had our monthly men’s group tonight, which was very enjoyable, a period of deep introspection coupled with strong connection.  During the meeting, when it was my turn, I shared that I really enjoyed my life and had no concerning issues.  The response of the group was a mixture of admiration, wonderment and questioning.  One person even commented, questioningly “so, your life is perfect” to which I responded “no” since I am getting older, disabled, have a speech impediment and am in some degree of pain much of the time.  The simple fact, that I realized more strongly at that time, is that the challenges that stem from my physical body mean nothing other than a minor inconvenience to me.  Those transient physical challenges have little impact on the eternal “I am”, which is where my focus is.