Friday, May 19, 2017

Growth

Earlier in my adult life I was reacting to the events in my life out of hurt, fear and anger that I did not even realize I had. For example, as an assistant professor at a woman’s college I was very harsh, judgmental and demanding of my students and similar in my committee work. I thought my behavior to be right and proper and I was proud of my status and the way students feared me. I had no idea that my behavior at that time was due largely to residual hurt, fear and anger at the way I was raised. I was very much afraid of appearing incompetent and being judged. I then went through a lengthy period of increasing awareness and shedding the hurt, fear and anger. I still have high standards for myself but also know that if I try and fail - it is no failure at all. I love myself and everyone else and will do what I can to help us all grow. A position that no longer creates more fear.