Monday, September 25, 2017

Internal Conflict

I have been reading Our Hearts Are Restless, by Gilbert Kilpack. He makes the point that "We want to be spiritually alive, but also to be comfortable; to be prayerful, but not to rise early in the morning to pray; to possess power to lead, but not to undergo the discipline that it takes to control the power." And I agree with that statement, but he and several other spiritual leaders also view this condition as unfortunate, a negative aspect, and I don’t agree with that. It’s certainly true that this condition is a conflict, a source of tension. However, resolution of conflict is part of the joy of life and Spirit, whatever you choose to call it, knows and appreciates that. In the recovery meetings I attend people openly admire my spiritual achievements and would like to have the same, but without the physical pain I have had and without doing the things I do - so would I! We all find our own way of answering the conflict.