Monday, November 27, 2017

Choice

In my book, Three Simple Questions: Being in the World, But Not of It, I write of the "God seed" that my experience tells me is within each of us humans. That seed is often spoken of as "that small quiet voice" and often tells us what the next right action is, the choice that is in harmony with the Loving force of the universe. As I mention, if we pay attention to that voice and nurture it, it gets stronger, leading to a very fulfilling life. If, on the other hand, we choose to follow some external guidance such as an authority figure, our own internal guidance remains quiet. Either behavior is totally fine and appropriate, each reflecting different conditions. "The very fact that such a mighty experience [mystical worship] as this is possible means that there is some inner meeting place between the soul and God; in other words, that the divine and human, God and man, are not wholly sundered." (Rufus Jones)