Saturday, December 14, 2013

Mind-Body Connection

The mind-body connection or the potential effect of the mind on the body is a very powerful tool that I can use in a positive or negative way.  A good example of this connection, which is generally known and accepted is usually called “the placebo effect” commonly seen during drug trials.  The placebo effect demonstrates that, within limits, the body can heal itself if the mind/brain believes it can.  I was diagnosed with cerebellar degeneration, a progressive and degenerative neurological disease back in 1988.  At that point, I was in very bad condition and was told that I would never improve and that I would continue to get worse, meaning that I would die, though that was not explicitly stated.  Rather than believe what I was told, I began to apply meditation, visualization and thoughts of healing and love to my situation.  As a result, I am now in better physical shape now than I was then, though I still have considerable physical challenges and continue to work on them.  I have also used the mind-body connection in similar ways numerous other times, with similar results.