Saturday, November 17, 2012

What Matters in Life


I have mentioned it in this journal before, but I talked of the phrase in a meeting today have been reflecting on the comment that “nothing matters very much and very few things matter at all”.
I was taught that things like performance, what others thought of me and my intellectual achievements were pretty much the only things that mattered, a fear based approach which resulted in a great deal of angst.  The more I accomplished, the greater the angst.  Those things matter little, if at all.  The things that truly matter are things like relationships, love and compassion.  The more I develop those things within myself, the better and more peaceful I feel.  Those things have some eternal significance and come from God.  “Money, power and prestige”, come from humans and only have short term significance.