Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Broadening Perspective


Today I encountered one of the foundational phrases that I heard and came to espouse in my scientific past, “If you cannot measure it, it does not exist”.  At one point, several years ago, I was speaking to an international audience about my research, and I questioned the validity of a theory of a prominent colleague based on the fact that it was not testable and was, therefore, worthless.  I find it amusing and quite ironic that I now base my life on things like God or the power of love, things that are totally untestable.  During my scientific years, I did not realize that I was closing myself off from a great deal of information, that science had a very definite part, but was not a total answer.
During dinner tonight, my wife, Maria, and I were having some light conversation and, in response to my comment about something being trivial, she said “nothing is too trivial for the physical plane”.  I tend to get involved in all sorts of drama, such as the living problems of relatives or the way my boss treats me, which mean very little if one takes the perspective of eternity.