Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Growth

When I was very young, before the age of ten, I noticed that the other children had a very close, loving, dependent relationship with their parents and addressed their parents as "mom and dad". My parental relationship was not like that. My parents had us children address them by their first names and did not encourage any sort of a close relationship, promoting independence. I have to admit that I felt the lack but also developed that sense of independence and absence of any tendency to attach. As a result of that early experience I have changed careers three times, moved several times, explored several spiritual practices and pissed off several authority figures. I have also learned to appreciate deeply the power and value of love. My childhood was challenging but also valuable in producing the man I am today.