Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Honesty 2


In the past I have made use of what I called “white lies”.  For example, when people would greet me with “how are you doing” or my wife would ask “does this outfit look good on me?”, I would answer with things like “good” or “yes” when it wasn’t really true.  I answered with a white lie, supposedly, to avoid hurting the other person.  What I have since realized is that I used white lies as a convenience to avoid the difficulties and complications of being both honest and loving in my response.  I have since realized that if I am to be loving and respectful of others, I owe it to them to be honest with them.  I also certainly realize how difficult it is to be loving and honest at the same time and that it is quite possible to miss-use the ideas I am talking about.