Friday, November 22, 2013

Experiencing the Absolute

I gather that most people know of and have experienced brief glimpses of the Absolute or God place, that feeling of peace and tranquility, a feeling that everything is and will continue to be just fine, a feeling that some would experience as the love and grandeur of God.  Some have the experience through music, some dance, others through excursions into nature.  My initial experience was on the side of Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina and now I have the experience regularly, during meditation, I also tend to carry that feeling with me during the day, though I get distracted at times.  I agree with the mystic, St. John of the Cross, when he commented that “He should learn to remain in God’s presence with a loving attention and a tranquil intellect, even though this seems like idleness to him.  Soon he will find little by little that a divine calm and peace with a wondrous, sublime knowledge of God, enveloped in divine love, will be infused into his soul”.  It’s a wonderful feeling in this up and down, transient world we live in.  I have learned that, with practice, it is possible to achieve that sense/feeling through meditation.