Sunday, February 3, 2019

There, But For The Grace Of God.....

I spent this afternoon at a visit with my in-laws during which they spent most of the time smiling, being pleasant and talking about superficial things like sports, home design and cars. There was a six month old present so there was also some cooing and other happy expressions around the baby. There were a few "cracks" in the facade showing some of the dysfunction, hurt and anger underneath the pleasantries. Having "been there", I could not judge them and I also realize that the way to help is love and support — not judgment or criticism. I was reminded how much work my wife and I have done to become more fulfilled and functional. I am very grateful for the help we have received along the way. As Patricia Loring points out "To undertake to live a discerned life, to endeavor daily to be attuned to authentic movements of the Spirit leading us into greater fullness of life, is a strenuous undertaking." She also wrote "We can cultivate an environment among us which will foster one another’s spiritual growth by directing and redirecting intention and attention to God; by discouraging what draws us away; by loving support for each other in the vicissitudes of our utterly human lives; by respecting and cherishing the uniqueness of each life."