Thursday, May 9, 2013

Being Open to New Ideas


People seem to have a distinct tendency to believe their own stories, rather than incorporating any conflicting reality based on the evidence.  The stories are generally based on culturally or societally held beliefs rather than evidence.  For example, the idea that science will provide all of the answers we need or that western medicine will provide all of our health needs, regardless of clear evidence to the contrary.  The same can be said for a variety of political and environmental situations.  Meditation has been very helpful for me to see past my own stories and be open to the alternative realities.
The most familiar way that I had to overcome my own stories was with respect to my health.  I used to rely solely on western medicine and believed that it would address all of my health concerns.  Then I began to experience some health problems that western medicine could not help me with so I turned to alternative medicine, which in this case was based on love and the power of visualization.  I attended a workshop where people were using these techniques, successfully, to deal with AIDS and HIV.  I have done the same, also successfully.  For me, this has opened the door so that I can make use of both western and alternative medicine.